Sunday, January 06, 2013

Cake Challenge 2013 #1


One of the things I decided to do at the start of this new year, was to bake a different cake every week for the next year. By my reckoning (and everyone else's) that will be 52 cakes BY 2014!! LOL

There is no real reason, except that I love baking. I wanted to set myself a challenge too! That and I get a bit bored of making the same thing all the time. Lemon Drizzle cake for example is requested by friends and family so often I'm surprised they still enjoy it. I want to find some other flavours we can enjoy.

My work colleagues especially are excited by this idea. They figure seeing as though no one person can eat 52 cakes in a year, they will be the lucky recipients  They are correct of course.  :)  My dancers will be equally happy as is my family.

I enjoy a slice of cake now and again but in the main I just enjoy the baking process.   This Orange cake marks the first bake of the year.

It is the first time I have made this one - it was delicious! Yes, I did eat some of this one myself! I even have a sneaky slice in my lunch box for tomorrow too!


You need: 

1 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup self raising flour (all purpose)
1.5 tsp baking powder
Zest of an orange

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and bake in an oven (180 c / gas 4) for 35 mins.

For the filling you need:

2 tbsp butter
7oz icing sugar (powdered sugar)
2 tbsp marmalade

Mix this altogether to make a cream and sandwich in-between the cake layers. Dust with powdered sugar.

No comments: